Funk Family Photos

 It was a Saturday around 10:30 am when I showed up to the Funk's house for their family photoshoot.  I brought my 12-year-old daughter along as an assistant since my husband was sick. She was awesome. She stood by my side, held the extra camera, and bag, and reflector/diffuser and moved around and did whatever I told her to.  And she didn't even complain once. Awesome!

Speaking of awesome, this family is just that.  The Funks have an awesome last name and they are awesome people and friends to our family.  They have horses and love to take them up in the mountains, so it only seemed fitting to get a family picture with a couple of the horses.  Shiloh had a vision of the set-up, so we went with it, and in the end we got a fabulous shot.  I stood way far away with a nice zoom lens and climbed up on a ladder.  I also used a monopod to help me steady and heft the camera into position.  It took some maneuvering on my end to get the camera just right.  Oh yeah, and there was a minor crisis with one of the horses. 

Just as we were about to "say cheese" the horse began to flip out.  I was busy trying to get my camera set up just right, but when I heard yelling I looked out across the field and there was the horse bucking off the 3 kids on its back!  The dad was shouting at the horse and pulling on it's lead rope trying to get it's attention and calm it down.  The kids were stunned and scared, but okay.  The oldest daughter took a couple minutes to sit down and feel better. 

Eventually the horse did calm down and seemed to be just fine.  We took a few minutes to regroup and switch around the kids on the horses until everyone was happy, or at least ready to pretend they were for a picture.  The shadows were sorta harsh at that time of the day, but after some editing of shadows and pasture patties, I really love how the final photo turned out.  7 kids, 2 parents, 2 horses, and 3 dogs later, it all worked out. Except that one dog that kept moving positions and eventually hid his face.  Luckily he made it into the next photo.

Because I wasn't liking the shadows on their faces, and didn't know how the final photo would look, I coaxed the family into taking another family photo in the shade.  And since one of the horses had had a rough go, we decided to leave them out and one of the dogs. 

The shade was VERY limited at that time of day.  We found a tiny 2-1/2 foot area of shade next to a weathered wall and squished everyone in there.  I hadn't noticed until then that they all were wearing matching Big-O Tires sweatshirts (the dad's business).  When I pointed that out, both the mom and dad said, "It's what we all had that matched!  And, it's who we are.  It's just us."  I loved that.

After family pictures, we got portraits of all 7 kids, that's 5 girls and 2 boys.  No one complained and they were all willing to smile.  And they all have beautiful smiles.

When we were taking the oldest daughter's portrait, I realized we needed a few more pictures so we could show off her belt buckle and her seriously cool boots.  In fact, we gave the boots their very own photoshoot after all was said and done.
 
The youngest probably got the most photos on my camera because he was so active it was hard to stop him long enough to get him to smile AND look at the camera at the same time.  But when with some patience, he awarded us with such a darling picture!  He honestly had dozens of adorable pictures just because his mere existence is so cute, but when he lifted his little john deere boot and looked at my camera and smiled... it was the cherry on top of a perfect family photoshoot.


A cloud came into the sun's path at the perfect time for us to get a photo of all the girls posing together.  Wouldn't it be fun to have this many sisters?
 The boys also got a photo of just the 2 of them.  We took several attempts to get a picture of them happy together, to no avail, but at the end, when the baby got to be on brother's shoulders, then there were smiles galore!
 And the photoshoot would seem incomplete unless you had one of the couple that started it all.  I seriously love this couple and this family.  It was my privilege to get to take their photos!  I love sharing in a day with the families!


If you have a family, you need pictures!  Contact us and get your photoshoot scheduled today!  We'd love to photograph for you whether you've got puppies, people, places, or persimmons.  If it's a part of your life, we can photograph it.  Whatever it be, give us a call, text, or find us on Facebook at Christensen Life Photography @CLifePhotos !

Comments

Popular Posts